The Moore Balance Brace (MBB) is a prescription custom-made ankle foot orthotic (AFO) worn as a pair that is designed to fit easily into a doctor recommend shoe. The MBB is NOT intended to be worn without a shoe.
The MBB is covered by most major insurances including Medicaid and Medicare. The MBB is a long-term solution to be used in combination with a fall prevention strength training program which may include physical and occupational therapy, making the necessary environmental changes in the home and a review of the patient’s current medications.
Who Can Benefit from the Moore Balance Brace?
- Patients who have difficulty walking
- Patients who have fallen in the past or who are at the risk for falling
- Patients with ankle weakness or instability
- Patients with arthritis in their feet or ankles
- Patients who have had a stroke, have weakness or dizziness
- Patients who have poor feeling or numbness in their feet
- Any patient already using a cane, walker or any other assistive device
Why the Need for a Fall Prevention Brace?
- Falls & fall-related injuries are the leading cause of accidental deaths in older people
- 3 in 10 seniors fall each year
- Half of seniors who fall, will fall again within the next year
- 40% of nursing home residents fall each year, some more than once
- Nearly half of the seniors who fall reduce their activity after a fall
- Most fractures among older adults are caused by falls
- In 2007 over 18,000 seniors died from unintentional fall injuries
How the MBB Can Prevent YOU from Falling
- Improves balance and prevents falls by reducing the body’s postural sway
- Stabilizes the foot and ankle when weakness and fatigue exists
- Stimulates skin receptors providing feedback to the brain
- Improves foot clearance reducing the risk of trip-ping
- Can help reduce the risk of falling by 30-60%